Name:
Location: Ogden, Utah, United States

This blog was created for the purpose of sharing the military experiences of an old Army Cobra pilot. In every experience in life there is a lesson. If we think about it for a little bit, almost any experience can be of benefit to us. Here are some of mine.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Falling Out of Run

For twenty years I served active duty in the US military. During that period of time, I have run over hill and dale in formation in the Army. I have run in basic training when I was an E-1 to the time that I retired. I have run in many states and three countries. After all of that is said and done, I can almost say I never fell out of a run. I only fell out of one run and most of the rest of the runs I don't remember. But I remember well the one that I fell out of. I was at Fort Hood Texas and just about every morning we ran two miles.

On Friday mornings we ran at least 5 miles. On one particular Friday morning, we started out to do our 5 mile run. As the 5 mile run proceeded it became apparent that my system needed a visit to the restroom. But I stayed in the run even though it was difficult. At the end of the 5 mile run as we came back to the barracks, the whole company was quite surprised when we passed the barracks and kept on going. The commander was going to run the company some more. At that point I decided that I could not do another mile or two or 5 more miles. I had no idea how far they were going to go. So I dropped out of the run. They went about another 100 feet and then stopped. He dismissed the company. I could have run another 100 feet. I could have run another 200 feet. But I fell out 100 feet short of the finish. So never in my life will I now ever be able to say I completed every run in the Army. Almost I can say that I completed every run. I ran in Germany one time when we started in excess of 250 men and I was one of about 15 that completed the run. I thought I would die but I didn't.

I think of this every time I read the scripture in Acts 26:24-29. It is the experience of Paul before King Agrippa. He preaches the Gospel boldly to King Agrippa and then Festus interrupts him. At that point Paul says to King Agrippa, "King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest". Then Agrippa said unto Paul, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian". And Paul said, "I would to God that not only thou but also all that hear me this day were both almost and altogether such as I am except these bonds".

Every time I think about King Agrippa and Paul and think about the fact that I can only say almost I did not fall out of any run, it reminds me that I do not want to be almost in the Gospel of Jesus Christ! I do not want to be almost with my family, with my loved ones, with my Savior! I hope to be almost and altogether with those I love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home