Name:
Location: Ogden, Utah, United States

This blog was created for the purpose of sharing the military experiences of an old Army Cobra pilot. In every experience in life there is a lesson. If we think about it for a little bit, almost any experience can be of benefit to us. Here are some of mine.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Omlie's Weather Report

When I was in Texas in the military we got a new LT (Lieutenant) in the platoon by the name of Omlie. He was a first Lieutenant and had been in the Army long enough to be dangerous because he thought he knew what was going on.

Shortly after his arrival we were sent out into the field to do some field maneuvers. During these exercises they would spilt us up into teams and would then go off with our group and hide in the tree line and wait for missions on the radio. Sometimes long hours were spent listening to the static on the radio and trying to keep from being eaten by the bugs and snakes.

So off to the field we went on this very hot and dry Texas spell. About three days into the field exercise we were having a particularly slow day with nothing happening for the Cobra helicopters. Long hours went by and the weather was very hot and dry. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky and no wind movement.

We all monitored the same radio frequencies and so could tell if someone else got a mission. In the middle of the afternoon I heard Lt. Omlie come on the radio and say that he was going to go off from the frequency for just a little bit. We were close to Gray Army Airfield and there was an Air Force weather station there. Some how I just knew that he was going to call Gray Metro, the weather station and ask for a weather report. What is there to learn about the weather when it is about 100 degrees, no wind, and clear sky? It is hot and it isn’t going to change!!! That’s all you’ll learn by calling them!!

So I dialed in Gray Metro and sure enough Lt Omlie called them. Something over took me and I answered as Gray Metro. He asked for a weather briefing so I gave him one!! I told him that there was a big storm coming in and that it would be there in just a couple of hours!! There will be softball size hail!!! The freezing level will be down to the ground!! There are frost warnings for the night!! (From 100 degrees to freezing tonight - let’s get real!!) The visibility would be down to zero!! All outdoor activity is not recommended!! It was fun! He thanked me for the report!! Then the real Gray Metro called him and said, “This is the real Gray Metro”. He thanked them for the briefing! Gray Metro was laughing but he kept trying to tell him the he was the real Gray Metro. Lt Omlie just kept thanking him and then went off the frequency.

I changed back over to our tactical frequency and waited to see if he would call operations and relay the weather report on to them. There were a bunch of guys over there with Lt Omlie that would know that report was not real. So I figured that probably they would straighten him out. No radio call came. Yup, they must have straightened him out.

After about an hour I decided to walk over to the TOC (Tactical Operations Center) and see if there is going to be anything happening. When I walked in the commander was there. We chit chatted for a few minutes. Then the commander said, “You wouldn’t believe what Lt Omlie just try to pull. He came in here about a half hour ago with a crazy story that he called Gray Metro and the told him that the weather was going to be freezing in a little while with some big storm!! If one of you warrant officers had come in with that story I would know that you were just trying to get out of the field. I don’t know what he was trying to pull.”

At that point I thought it best to tell the commander what had happened. I told him that I did it just as a joke and didn’t think it would be taken seriously. He said, “He really believes its true!!” So I told the commander I would go over to their area and tell him that I did it as a joke.

Out I went and trooped across the area to go find Lt Omlie. When I found him I called him aside and told him that it was I who had given him the weather report and that it was a joke. He said, No I called Gray Metro”. I told him that I had answered for Gray Metro using their call sign and then I told him what the weather report was. At that point the became very despondent and said I had ruined his credibility. I told we do crazy things like this all the time and everyone will just have a good laugh and then it will be forgotten. He just kept saying over and over that his credibility was shot. After about three times of that I told him that Lieutenants have no credibility and to not worry about it!!! Good grief grow up!! I walked back over to my own area.

It took a while for the boy to grow up but after a while we were able to mature him a bit!!

I don’t believe that humor that hurts people is funny or should be used. I did not intend to injure Lt Omlie. There is also the side that we need to be able to laugh at ourselves. Everyone makes mistakes!! Everyone will do something embarrassing!! Don’t lay down and die because some little thing embarrasses you. Laugh with everyone else and then get up and go on! You can get a good laugh out of it too!! Its really good for us to be embarrassed some times! We then are more sensitive to other’s feelings because we have been there. Forget revenge - the price is too high!! It tears the heart out of the person who is going for revenge! Those seeking revenge become bitter and mean and often lose the love and respect of those around them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home